Skip to content
- Staff member Hannah Coles was presented with the Royal College of SLTs Sternberg Prize for Clinical Innovation for her work within the field of Youth Justice. Hannah is the third member of our team to receive this national honour.
- Hackney SLT Department has been selected to be a pilot collaborative area for the RCSLT SLCN Outcomes Pilot, funded by the DfE National Prospectus Grants Programme.
- Service Manager Stephen Parsons published his second book ‘Word Aware: teaching vocabulary across the day, across the curriculum’ and continues to provide training within Hackney and nationwide.
- Staff member Vivienne McKenzie achieved a place on a highly sought after internship at City University and has been developing research skills.
- Service Manager Annabelle Burns was selected to take part in the NHS Leadership Academy’s Programme Next Generation Capital Leaders. Run in conjunction with the Centre for Innovation in Healthcare Management Staff, this programme develops leaders who manage complex organisations in London
- Staff member Yildiz Katkin planned and delivered training to over 200 UK Magistrates on the ‘impact of SLCN on the court process’. This was part of a National Ministry of Justice Fairness to All conference.
- Three of our partners in Hackney won Shine a Light Awards which celebrate excellent practice in supporting children and young people’s communication development.
– Millfields School won Primary School of the Year
– Wentworth Nursery won Early Years Setting of the Year
– Artburst social enterprise won the SLCN Innovation Award
- Team member Caroline McCallum was named as SLT Student Supervisor of the Year by students at City University.
- Publication: Communication Language Activities book (Editor: Sarah Nash)
This resource was developed by the team and is a great source of inspiration for anyone wanting to run language groups for primary school aged children.For further information click here
- Publication: I am Special: A Workbook to Help Children, Teens and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders to Understand Their Diagnosis, Gain Confidence and Thrive (2nd edition) Peter Vermeulen Translated by team member Beth Junor. More info.
- Publication: Discriminating disorder from difference using dynamic assessment with bilingual children. N. Hasson, B. Camilleri, C. Jones, J. Smith, and B. Dodd
Child Language Teaching and Therapy, February 1, 2013; 29(1): 57 – 75.
- Two members of the team (Caroline Jones and Jodie Smith) were involved in this research project. For more information click here.
- Presentation: NAPLIC ConferencePresentation by team member Stephen Parsons on Word Aware vocabulary teaching method. For further information
- Presentation: Afasic ‘Voice for Life’ conferencePresentations by Gwen Murray (speech, language and communication in secondary schools), Nabiah Sohail (outcomes and bilingualism), Stephen Parsons (Word Aware) and Donal Shea (visual support for children with ASD). For further information
- Award: Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists Sternberg Award for Clinical innovation. Team member Nabiah Sohail for Hackney Outcomes Project
- Award: Highly commended in the ‘Shine a Light’ Awards in the ‘Team of the Year’ category.
The service was proud to share with Hackney schools Wentworth Nursery School and Millfields Community School in being highly commended for the services we provide for children with speech, language and communication needs. For more details
- Presentation: Redesigning Service Delivery for a Changing World.
Service manager Sally Shaw spoke at the Therapy Ideas Live event about how to develop speech and language therapy services for the future. For more information
- Publication: Better Communication Research programme ‘What Works: Interventions for children and young people with speech, language and communication needs’. Two interventions that were developed within the Hackney service (‘Language for Thinking’ and ‘Word Wizard’) were listed as evidence based interventions for Speech and Language Therapy. More info here.
- Presentation: Language groups in schools Team member Sarah Nash spoke at the Therapy Ideas Live event about how to run successful language groups in schools. For further information go here.
- Award: Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists Sternberg Award for Clinical innovation. Team member Annabelle Burns for ‘Talk to me’ DVD.